Tuesday 30 July 2013

Highclere Castle

Last Sunday I got up very early to join a coachtrip to Berkshire to visit Highclere Castle.  This is more well known to many as Downton Abbey, a  drama on ITV. Our Horticultural Society arrange a couple of trips each year to gardens and houses. 

The coach drove up the long drive way and took us right to the front door, where we were met by a guide who told us about our visit.



No photos are allowed to be taken inside the house, which is a pity, because it was lovely.  The rooms were not massive like some of the houses I have visited.  There were signs to show which rooms were used for the programme - I am looking forward to  watching it in the Autumn when the new series starts.

 The grounds and gardens were designed by Capability Brown and the 1st Earl of Canarvon.  Lots of trees and lawns, bet they take some mowing!

This old wall was quite lovely, with roses climbing up and a massive bed of penstamom.


A view of the house from below the wild flower meadow (saves on mowing)



The house framed by two trees.



This arched wall divided the lawns from the Monks garden, beyond this is the secret garden.  This was where they filmed The Secret Garden.



The most interesting part for me was the Egyptian Exhibition.  This is in the old servants area, downstairs.  The 5th Earl travelled to Egypt and in 1922 discovered the Tomb of Tutankhamun.  There were lots of real treasures on display and some replicas.  
The story of his travels was displayed along with some of his personal possessions.  

Mmmmm.... a Magnum mint, just what I needed on such a hot day.

 

4 comments:

greenthumb said...

Looks like a wonderful day out, I love the show.

Fundy Blue said...

An interesting post, Lizzy. A friend just gave me the first season of Downton Abbey to watch ~ I must be just about the only person who hasn't seen it! Thanks for mentioning Egypt. I would never have made the connection on my own. Have a good one!

Rustic Vintage Country said...

It is a shame not to be able to photograph inside the house but I suppose we have to respect peoples wishes. Those views of the outside though are very familiar! x

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Such a charming visit - there is so much history in your country - I'm quite envious. Lovely photos.